Our Coatesville, Pennsylvania client has a full time opportunity for a Flight Controls Engineer who will design and develop flight or mission-critical onboard software for aircraft, helicopters, ground vehicles, vision systems, situational awareness and collision avoidance systems, see and avoid, redundancy management and Manned/UAV Guidance, Navigation, & Control (GNC) and path planning systems. The Flight Controls Engineer will participate hands-on in the full software life-cycle, from concept through implementation, integration to flight test.
- Define, analyze and review software requirements to customer needs and system quality and performance standards
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines in planning, design and development of systems to ensure software and hardware performance and compatibility
- Design software architecture and interfaces and implement functionality using a model-based approach
- Design and develop flight or mission-critical onboard software for manned systems
- Software verification and validation including writing Test Cases and Test Procedures
- Develop, implement, and document data and software application test plans to validate project deliverables meet quality standards
- Oversee and support processes and procedures for existing data and reporting activities to support internal and external customer deliverables. Examples of specific deliverables include but are not limited to: recurring reports and analyses; data validation and documentation
- Interface with hardware design and development
- Support oversight of suppliers who develop a subset of the embedded software or verification test cases and procedures
- Assess third party and open source software which potentially augments existing client flight control capabilities
- Typical software functionality for a manned aerospace includes guidance, navigation & control, mission sequencing, payload control, redundancy and contingency management, uplink and downlink packet encoding and decoding, converting between different serial protocols, hardware-in-the-loop simulation, ground based GUIs, and aircraft subsystem control (i.e., engine, electrical system, fuel system)
- BS degree in ME / EE / AE engineering
- Minimum Four years’ experience in a professional environment developing MATLAB / Simulink control systems with auto code experience; or MS in Controls or Aerospace Engineering plus 2 years’ experience.
- Embedded code experience preferred.
- Experience in developing physics based 6 DOF simulations, preference helicopters
- Drive usage of tools: Matlab/Simulink, C, C++, FORTRAN or Python for cost efficient development and execution of program
- Ability to predict performance of helicopter simulations
- Experience developing scripts to run batch processes
- Experience in data post processing from simulation runs and report writing
- Familiarity with autonomous guidance, navigation and control
- Experience developing guidance and autonomy algorithms required; in denied environments preferred
Minimum two years of demonstrated, hands-on professional experience in at least one, ideally a combination, of the following areas:
- Model-based design and/or test using the Simulink/Stateflow tool chain.
- Software development in a relevant subject matter area: Aircraft Guidance Navigation & Control or other robotic system guidance, navigation and control; ground- or airborne mission systems; general aerospace flight control or cockpit avionics systems; ground stations; payload control.
- Development/operations of hardware-in-the-loop simulators, conducting testing and troubleshooting of HW/SW interfaces.
- Open Architecture oriented systems (FACE) applied to complex aerospace or military systems (C2, payload data, etc.)
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, version control systems, defect tracking tools, and peer review required
- Existing DoD Secret Clearance or be eligible to receive secret clearance.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At Revel IT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might be the right candidate for this or our other open roles!
Revel IT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Revel IT does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Apply with Github Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed